When we travel, we always look for the unique things. After all, to find new discoveries and try new things are the main objectives of going to places. While there are many destinations around the world to serve the purpose, there is one place in Asia which extravagantly fulfills such aims.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Kingdom of Bhutan.
True enough, Bhutan is one of the most unique countries in the world. Here are some reasons why many adventure-seekers/culture-curious travelers are taking opportunities to take a tour to Bhutan:
Top 10 Things to Know About Bhutan
1. Bhutan is the only Vajrayana Buddhist nation in the world. The locals regard its faith with utmost reverence; and there are many sacred dzongs in the country, including the Tiger’s Monastery which is distinctly perched on a mountain cliff.
2. The currency used in Bhutan is Ngultrum (Nu.) but Indian Rupees are accepted as local tender, except the 500 and 1000 denominations.
3. It is in the constitution of Bhutan to keep 60% of the country forested. This is why high-rise buildings and industrial developments do not exist in the country. There aren’t any traffic lights in the country either.
4. Bhutan takes pride in being a carbon neutral country. Meaning, the air is completely unpopulated and is totally fresh.
5. The Bhutanese women run the family and business; while the men remain at home, maintaining the household.
6. Every first Sunday of the month, Bhutan holds the ‘Pedestrian Day’. On this day, no one is allowed to use private vehicles.
7. The use of plastic bags and selling of tobacco are strictly forbidden in Bhutan.
8. It is only on 1999 when Bhutan experiences television and internet connection. However, the latter doesn’t seem to have improved in time as fast connection cannot be expected even in hotels.
9. English is taught in Bhutan schools and is used as the second language in the nation. Most people can then speak the tongue comfortably.
10. Only in 1974 when this conservative country decided to open its doors to tourism.
Basically, there are more things to discover about Bhutan; and these things can only be known when you go there yourself. So do not miss the opportunity and find the reasons. Savor the fun of being in a really exotic travel experience and create unforgettable memories.